Tulips

Tulip Bulbs Not Flowering

Bridge76 added on April 11, 2015 | Answered

I planted some new tulip bulbs last autumn/fall. Most have produced healthy foliage, but only a few look like they are going to flower. If they fail to produce a flower this year, should I dig up and replace - i.e. will they ever flower in the future?

Did you purchase these bulbs at an end of year clearance sale? The reason I ask is that oftentimes such bulbs have flower buds in the center that are brown and dried up caused by improper storage. In such a case the bulbs will only produce foliage. It is recommended when buying discounted bulbs to slice one and inspect the condition of the flower bud to get an idea of the overall health of the bulb lot.

If that is not the case, then I recommend you read the article below which will go over all the possible scenarios and corrective courses of action. I would not give up on your tulip bulbs just yet. Provided the bulbs aren't bad, I would give them another season after applying some of the knowledge in the articles below.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/tulips/tulips-bloom-every-year.htm
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/tulips/fertilizing-tulips.htm

00
Bridge76

Thanks shelley,
I was given the bulbs, so unsure of provenance. I know that I was unable to get them planted straight away, so they sat around for a good 6 weeks before planting. I guess it may be that! Thanks so much, Sarah

00
Here are more questions about Tulips