Wisteria Vines

Trimming Wisteria

gene4925 added on September 8, 2011 | Answered

My wisteria bush/vine is located between two trees. I want to keep it from getting into the trees but my companion says that if I cut off the long tentacles, the vine will not bloom next year. If this is correct, how can I keep it from overtaking the trees?

00
weasel

No, its not true you are suppose to cut them back after the bloom .you did'nt say wether it was an american wisteria. If it's a U.S. wisteria you can control it , if it is native to China or Japan, these can get out of hand. Try going to this site http://www.wisteria.it/macrob-e.htm .If a have that right they are loaded with info. by the way go to the book of records the largest wisteria is like 50 tons the size of a football field and its not a U.S.wisteria. Good luck

00
Here are more questions about Wisteria Vines