Sago Palm Trees

Trimming Sago Palms

bielecki added on January 25, 2013 | Answered

I live in Ponte Vedrta Beach, FL. Can I trim my sagos in February? They have never been trimmed and they look bad but healthy.

I found the following article very informative with a couple reservations: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/sago-palm/prune-sago-palm.htm

I've had unfortunate experiences with epsom salts. Used once at a rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon water is sufficient for "greening up". (Had an employee use a heavier rate every 2 weeks, and wouldn't tell me...killed over 100 ferns in baskets!)
I didn't understand what the author meant about cutting "leaves between the 10 and 2 o'clock position".
Also, if the sago gets a bad case of scale, I don't hesitate to trim the worst leaves off the plant. Thena I treat with a systemic and spray with somethink like neem oil. Have had a King Sago for many years, and this works for me.

00
Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees