Apricot Trees

Tree Watering

felix added on April 27, 2011 | Answered

I planted an apricot tree last year and it has grown a lot. It had a lot of fruit. Almost all of the fruit fell off the tree. The fruit was a little soft. Did I over water my tree? I have about 8 different fruit trees and I live in the high desert, where temps can reach 112 F. in summer. I do a deep watering at least once a week for 5 minutes.

There are several things that can cause this. If the fruit were very small when they fell off, it could be that you are having some pollination issues. These articles will help you with that:

The high heat may have also caused the tree to abort some of its fruit, particularly because it is a young tree.

The fact that the tree is young may also be the sole culprit. Young fruit trees often have difficulty keeping or even producing fruit for the first few years.

Make sure that you are taking steps to attract pollinators and give the tree a little more time to mature.

Here are more questions about Apricot Trees