Shrub Problems

Tree Fungus

Anonymous added on January 19, 2011 | Answered

Most of my shrubs and trees are infected with a grey fungus, which I have used umpteen things to try to remove without success. The branches of the affected shrub/tree eventually go very brittle and can be too easily broken off. Some of the shrubs have died. Any ideas what the fungus is and how I can treat it? My garden, despite efforts to fix (including drainage pipes), gets easily waterlogged.

This sounds like lichen, which is actually a symptom rather than a cause of the problems on the trees. Lichen often like trees or branches that are dying or dead, which leads many people to think that the lichen is to blame for the problem.

If your garden is often waterlogged, you may have a fungus in the roots of the trees that are killing them. Are you seeing any other signs of problems in the trees? What do the leaves look like when the branches are dying?

00
Here are more questions about Shrub Problems