Plant Recommendations

Tree for Balcony

I want to select a specimen tree for my 9th floor balcony in Harlem. It doesn't get too much wind, but it does get hot in the summer, though most of the sun is indirect. I had a Mugo Pine that resembled a bonsai, which I adored but it died in 2 or 3 years. I might not have watered it sufficently. Do you have a suggestion for a tree? I think I would prefer a conifer that has bonsai character.

Arborvitae is a common and good choice for evergreen trees in pots. This tree does great in containers, and even makes an excellent candidate for training into bonsai specimens. This article has other tree suggestions and info: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/bonsai/first-bonsai.htm Keep in mind that for whatever type you choose, the pot needs to be at least 2 inches larger than the rootball, though I would go larger than this if you do not want to repot anytime soon.

00
Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations