Ash Trees

Transplanted Raywood Ash

I just had a Raywood ash planted in my yard 3 weeks ago and it has lost most of its leaves. I know that transplanted trees go into shock and losing leaves is not uncommon. The tree gets plenty of water. What can I expect from here and should I be worried?

Depending on the trunk size of the tree, it should be getting 10-20 gallons of water a week. A complete defoliation should not kill the tree, but it will require extra attention during the next growing season. If you aren't getting an inch of rain a week, you should continue to supplement water until first hard frost. Then, you should give the plant 5 gallons every other week until temperatures stay below 25-28*F., at night on a regular basis. Most plants can withstand total leaf loss and be fine the next year, even though this definitely stresses the tree.

00
Here are more questions about Ash Trees