Tomato Plants

Tomato Seedling

Camandjoe added on February 19, 2018 | Answered

I live in Maine, zone 5b, but am in Florida now. I would like to start my tomato seedlings here. How soon can I start, should I take advantage of the warmer weather and try for 2-3months before I plant in Maine, around May15. Also, do I need to use small pots? Can I use a long tray instead.

As long as the weather remains above 50 degrees, or you can keep it close to that then you can start at any time. If you start in trays, you will have to transplant within a week or so. If you start in a pot, then you can leave them in for just a little longer. Just make sure they don't get subjected to cold weather, and they will be fine.

Here is an article that will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/growing-tomatoes-guide.htm

00
Here are more questions about Tomato Plants