Q.

Tips for Transplanting a Rose Bush

I moved the first of the year and left my beautiful rose bush behind, The new family said I can come and get it. Well I live in Michigan and it gets pretty cold so I was wondering if I can dig it up now and hold on to it and plant it next spring after April?

A.
A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

You certainly could plant the rosebush in a big pot and keep it in the garage for the winter. Keep an eye on the soils moisture over the winter so it does not dry out. You don't want to keep it wet, just moist. Also when planting it in the pot to overwinter it, place a couple tablespoons of Super Phosphate in the bottom soils. That will help keep the roots fed and healthy for the winter. Don't use triple super phosphate as that is a bit too hot for this use. Then plant the rosebush outside in the early spring once the ground gets to where it can be worked okay.

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More