Dogwood Trees

The Leaves of Our Dogwood

We planted a pink dogwood in the fall and it made it through the winter OK and bloomed in the spring. We were not able to water it after the middle of May, but the summer was fairly rainy, and when we returned in August, the leaves had died and dried up and began falling off. I went to the store where I purchased it with a small branch that appeared to be alive. They advised me to prune off the dead branches and add slow release fertilizer plugs. I have had one of my neighbors water it from then 'till now' and when we returned there are very few new leaves, but the branches feel alive. Do you think it will make it and do you have any further advice? Should I fertilize again or let it be until spring? By the way, we are in Maryland and the weather is nice for another month.

In very hot and dry conditions, they need extra water to do well. It should be getting at least 2" of water a week. The tree could also have a fungus that kills the leaves. Treat the tree with a fungicide, just as a precaution. The leaves, however, should regrow.

00
Here are more questions about Dogwood Trees