Hibiscus Plants

Tall, Leggy Hibiscus

I live in southwest Virginia and have managed to keep 4 hibiscus plants alive outside for 3 years. I just mulch them heavily and cut off the dead branches to about a foot from the ground each winter and new growth comes back in the spring. I've never pruned them because I don't know how. This summer they grew about 5' tall and are very stalky and leggy instead of looking bushy. They didn't bloom until August. How can I keep this from happening next year?

It sounds like they are not getting enough light. Is it possible the light conditions changed? Perhaps a tree near by has grown taller over the past few years that is blocking the sun, or a new building has gone up? Let us know if this might be the case.

Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants