Top Questions About Poison Oak Plants

Click on links below to jump to that question.

Questions About Poison Oak Plants

Asked by
Anonymous on
April 17, 2011

Q. Poison Oak

How can I remove poison oak plants out of my shrubberies without harming myself or my shrubberies?

Answered by
Nikki on
April 18, 2011
Certified Expert
A.

If you're looking to get rid of poison ivy (or oak), treat with herbicide first (to kill the roots) then, wearing gloves, hand pull dead plant material and dispose of it. Do not burn it, however, as the poison can be breathed in and will result in a nasty rash. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/starting/poison-ivy-control.htm

00
Was this answer useful?
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!
Asked by
slushpuppie86 on
March 29, 2012

Q. We Have a “Weed” That Has Grown So Big

The base is approx. 9 inches in width and grown so tall it went into the tall branches of one tree and across to another, killing several branches. When my father cut the “weed” down, a clear looking liquid dripped for days. Now my father has a rash on his arms. Any ideas what it could be and how to completely remove it?

Answered by
Nikki on
March 30, 2012
Certified Expert
A.

It is possible that this "weed" may have been poison ivy or oak. Or within that family as its sap, which was dripping from the plant, is what normally causes rashes to occur. While many people think of them as only small, 3-leafed plants, they will actually produce large, woody vines that can climb throughout surrounding trees and structures. This article will help determine if this is in fact your weed: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/starting/poison-ivy-control.htm

If you do not feel this is the weed in question, feel free to send us a picture and we will help to identify it for you. Send to: questions@gardeningknowhow.com

00
Was this answer useful?
Asked by
Anonymous on
June 10, 2015

Q. cutting poison oak vines

How long after cutting poison oak vines at base of tree is it safe to pull out of tree and burn, if ever?

Answered by
Downtoearthdigs on
June 10, 2015
Certified Expert
A.

The poison remains active even after the plant is dead. If you're looking to get rid of poison ivy (or oak), treat with herbicide first (to kill the roots) then, wearing gloves, hand pull dead plant material and dispose of it. Do not burn it, however, as the poison can be breathed in and will result in a nasty rash. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/poison-ivy-control.htm

00
Was this answer useful?
Learn

Learn From
Your Peers on
Our Blog

Visit Our Blog
The website that started it all!
Main Website

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More