Tree Problems

Starting Over

shamchamp added on July 14, 2012 | Answered

I had 20 trees come down in a windstorm 2 years ago. When I’ve tried to grow grass, it dies quickly after sprouting. Now I have a lot of weed trees coming up (I think they are mostly maple and cherry). I've tried to dig them out but they seem to double each week. Any suggestions? Till the yard, get new dirt and start over? HELP!

These are notorious weed trees. Single stem young saplings can simply be cut off at ground level and they will die. More established saplings that have already branched will need to be cut off and their cuts painted with Roundup to prevent them from regrowing. This article should help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/weed-identification-control/weed-trees.htm

00
shamchamp

Thank you Nikki, prior to your reply I used Ortho, wasn't the ideal time heat wise but it seems to have worked a little. Once it cools down i will do a second treatment using your advise. Thanks again.

00
Here are more questions about Tree Problems