Soil Problems

I have been trying to establish some native plants and wildflowers. I cleared away the weeds and tilled the soil I have planted selected natives, as I have found specimens that I wanted. There is still lots of unplanted soil. My plantings are being overwhelmed with weeds and I am having trouble keeping up. There is a fair amount of space between my plantings. Is it possible to solarize the soil around my natives, leaving a reasonable space of uncovered soil around each plant? Should I just cover the area around my plantings with black landscape cloth or black plastic?

It should be alright to simply lay down some landscape fabric, black plastic or moist newspaper with mulch on top to control the weeds.

Here are more questions about Soil Problems