Maple Trees

Small Tree Trunk Damage

I have a small hard maple tree with around a 4- to 5-inch trunk, and it's about 10 feet tall. It was damaged in a windstorm. About half of its trunk, around 3 feet off the ground, was broken in half. I've pulled it back up, put duct tape around it and braced it to be straight. What should I do long term to fix this tree? It's not in the way and I hate to cut it down.

It is usually better to let it heal itself. It may survive as long as the bark on the intact side has not been too badly damaged. But, the issue will be that the tree will never repair itself to the point that it can support itself. If it survives, it will always need support to keep it upright. You can bolt the tree to provide support. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/what-to-do-for-storm-damage-trees-repair.htm

00
Here are more questions about Maple Trees