Plant Recommendations

Small Shrub to Line a Driveway

katio1505 added on June 29, 2014 | Answered

I live in the dry tropics (1200mm rainfall) and have a 25m driveway lined with 5m palm trees spaces at 5 metres. Between the palms are 2 evenly spaced spider lily plants. The latter require a lot of attention and I would like to replace them with something that might reach perhaps a metre high and a metre diameter with little pruning. Am I dreaming?

You're certainly not dreaming. There are literally hundreds of plants you can choose from. If there's a good landscape service or nursery in your area, they should be able to give you a list of suggestions from which to choose. If you want to do it all yourself, start by looking at pictures of landscaped driveways -- I'd start by browsing Pinterest -- and decide what look you want. You might like an ornamental grass, or something with large leaves like an elephant ear, or some kind of flowering bush, like a plumbago. Here's an article with some more thoughts on the subject: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/tropical/tropical-gardening.htm
Another possibility is native plants. You should be able to get more information by contacting a nearby botanical garden.

00
Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations