Olive Trees

Small Olives but Many

Janette@quality-first.co.za added on April 8, 2018 | Answered

My Olive tree is about 3 years old, and had fruit since the first year it was planted. Every year there were more olives. This year there are more olives than I have ever seen, but they are all very small and not worth picking. I live in Cape Town South Africa. We had the most severe drought in history. While the tree had some water, it may not have been sufficient. Any suggestions?

I do think that the lack of water had a large part to do with this. They will often require irrigation for excessive dry spells.

It could be that it is not a self fertile variety. In this case, you will need another variety to pollinate with. Most true olives will not require fertilization so this will not, usually, be the issue.

This article will give you more information on growing olives: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/olive/olive-tree-care-information.htm

00
Here are more questions about Olive Trees