Slime mold in our vegetable garden
We have discovered slime mold growing in our vegetable garden. I have read that it's not known to be dangerous to humans but the thought of it growing on my vegetables is upsetting! Are these vegetables safe to eat or should the whole area of garden be dug up and thrown out?
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Given that Fuligo septica is considered edible (it's used in a Mexican dish called "caca de luna") there is no need to abandon your gardening efforts. Control measures are not necessary. Since mold thrives in moist conditions, the best way to get rid of it is to let the area dry out. In my research it was suggested to remove it by hand or hose it off, however the latter option is just contributing to the moisture that allows it to thrive.
For more information on slime mold, please visit the following link: