Succulent Plants

Should I Try to Remove the Snow From My Succulents?

gmasund added on December 31, 2014 | Answered

I live in an area that is normally warm. We had a sudden snow last night, and my plants are covered with snow. I have many succulents in pots. Should I try to remove as much snow as possible? Should I try to move them indoors? What can I do for the plants that can't be moved?

In many cases, the snow may help to protect the plants from freezing. However, if you think the cold snap is over, you can gently brush or shake the snow off. In the future, cover with old sheets; if it's practical, a few strings of Christmas lights under the sheets can provide enough heat to protect. Taking plants into a heated house might not be good, but if there's an unheated spot protected from freezing, for instance a garage, you could take some plants there - just remember that darkness may cause as much or more damage as snow, so don't leave them in the dark. Here's an article with some suggestions you might find useful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/how-to-treat-frozen-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Succulent Plants