Wax Myrtle Trees

Should I Stake My Wax Myrtles?

robinholly added on August 8, 2015 | Answered

I have several wax myrtles and two in particular I am growing for privacy and screening. However, they have a habit of flopping over with heavy rain. Last winter they flopped over all the way to the ground when we had a hard frost. I was able to reposition them after the ice melted and after heavy rain they do spring up but this habit is not providing us with a reliable privacy screen that we need. Late last winter I pruned them both back hard in the hopes that they would be more robust but it doesn't appear to have helped. They were both hanging over like weeping willows following a hard rain. So do you think I should stake them, and if so, how? Thanks!

Yes - I would recommend staking your trees to prevent them from flopping over. Here is an article that will guide you on how to stake them:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/straighten-tree.htm

Happy gardening!

00
Here are more questions about Wax Myrtle Trees