Tangerine Trees

Should I Prune My Tangerine Tree Now (Early Dec) to Help Control Insects?

bernd added on December 10, 2011 | Answered

Recently moved in, so not sure but looks like aphids (underside of leaves covered w/ small, white insects) took over this 20+ yr-old tree. Will pruning drastically now help prevent a repeated infestation next year or should I wait 'till spring to prune. Tree is +/- 15 ft and apparently never was pruned. Owner sprayed w/Malathion but little/no effect.

Whether it's aphids or some other bug, I would recommend using neem oil to rid the plant of these pests. Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/neem-oil-uses.htm

Tangerines rarely need pruning but since yours has never been pruned, it may not hurt to do so and later winter would be the best time to do it.

00
Here are more questions about Tangerine Trees