Oxalis Plant

Shamrock Plant

mrsstump added on February 10, 2018 | Answered

I have a potted shamrock plant that has grown WAY bigger than 6"! It is about 2' across at the top - no exagerating! I have repotted it twice already, and would like to split it to give part to my daughter. Can I just cut or rip the roots or is there another way I need to split them so I don't kill the plant?

These like to have a dormancy each year. They will either die completely or just stop growing for a little while. This is the time to divide this. You don't really have to be careful. This can be an invasive species in some areas, so the risk of killing it is very low.

When you go to split it up, wet the soil, and take it out of the pot. Cut the tops off leaving any tiny new growth. Then rip them into segments. Plant these in their own pots, and you are good to go. It is important to always work with soil when it is slightly moist. It will make things much easier.

As an added bonus, the leaves make a wonderful addition to salads. They have a flavor that is similar to green grapes. A litle sour but a little sweet.

Here is an article for more information on the care of these: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/shamrock/growing-shamrock-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Oxalis Plant