Lantana Plants

Flowers Not Blooming

clicar93 added on September 1, 2014 | Answered

My lantana & dahlia plants have not produced any flowers. They are in sunny locations till about 1:30, then bright light. I have fertilized with Vigero all purpose and water them. I live in Naples, Fl. which is about 92% every day & humid (considered sub tropical). Thanks, what do I do?

When plants don't produce flowers, the most likely reasons are too little light, or too much nitrogen. (I'm assuming there are plenty of nice green leaves.) Since from what you describe, they should have enough light, you could try increasing the phosphorous to counteract the possibility of too much nitrogen. Working some bone meal into the soil might be helpful. Also using a pine needle mulch could raise the acidity a bit. If you still don't get flowers, try different varieties, or different plant, next season. Here are a couple of articles that you might find informative:

Here are more questions about Lantana Plants