Ficus Trees

Scale Insects

I have a ficus tree that I have treated for scale. I have used treatment of mim (sp?) oil mixed with rubbing alcohol (diluted with water) and a few drops of dish soap. The scale keep returning. What else can I try?

I am not sure what mim oil is, but if you have not tried neem oil, I would recommend it, though you may need a few applications. If you have tried that, I would try insecticidal soap.

When you use these things to treat the scale, wash the plant first to get off as many of the scale as you can. After you treat the plant, continue to treat it weekly for a month or two. What is likely happening is that some scale are in the soil and they do not get treated when you treat the plant and then re-infest the plant once the others have died.

Here are more questions about Ficus Trees