Holly Bushes

Scale Infestation

nellie_buy added on March 5, 2012 | Answered

About a year ago, our area suffered from a late spring freeze and one that severly impacted the new growth on my holly bushes. I pruned off the dead growth and all seemed fine. However, I noticed many of the remaining branches turning yellow. Before I found out I had a scale infestation, I lost several complete bushes and lots of limbs on others. I finally got the scale under control and trimmed off a lot of dead/diseased limbs. Bottom line: Will the hollies that have some of the yellow leaves recover? Do I need to do a severe pruning to get all of them back in good health?

I would wait and see before giving them a severe pruning. They may regrow the leaves in the spring. By late spring, if you do not see signs of leaves regrowing, you may want to try the pruning.

00
Here are more questions about Holly Bushes