Pumpkin Plants

Saving the Pumpkins

Rosetucson added on August 27, 2016 | Answered

So my husband and I started our very first vegetable garden this year. Everything was going good. Pumpkins were going so great. Then we had a really bad hail storm. It tore most of the leaves up and tore or damaged some the vines. We are wondering if we should try and cut the pumpkins that we have off. They are not ready yet and all 10 have failed the nail test. Please help us, as we are so torn up about what to do. Thanks for your time. Rose Tucson

I think at least some of your pumpkins should survive this unfortunate situation if left on the vine. You may want to remove a few of the smaller, less developed pumpkins to allow the vines to focus on supporting those that are left. You can remove any leaves or portions of vines that are completely dead, but keep those that are still alive even if they are damaged. The plant may still be able to derive nutrition from them.

Here are more questions about Pumpkin Plants