Apple Trees

Sapling Repair

We planted apple tree saplings April 1. At this point, it's mostly just a single stick that is just starting to get leaves. The top 12 inches snapped, I'm guessing from a bird trying to land on it. What I can see of the inside still looks green and healthy. Other than tying it together, is there anything I can do to help repair it?

If it is completly broken, you will not be able to repair it and even if it is more than 25% severed, it likely would not be able to be healed. The tree may survive if there are branch buds below the break but the tree will grow forked and low, almost looking bush like. Some orchards intentionally do this to their trees to make harvesting easier, so it is not necessarily a bad thing.

Here are more questions about Apple Trees