Lawn Maintenance

Sand for Leveling Lawn

I read how to level lawns using a 50/50 mix of sand and topsoil. My question is, what kind of sand is good for the lawn? I was told that I can't use regular sand, as it could burn the grass (too much salt, I'm guessing). What about the sand they use for cement mixes that is sold at Home Depot? A name/brand of sand and where to get it from would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Although it is a common practice when leveling landscapes, we do not generally recommend using sand for leveling lawns, unless there is no clay in the soil. The reason being that any sand mixed with a soil that has any amount of clay will result in the ground becoming harder and less ideal for grass (clay + sand = concrete). If you feel that your soil has no clay, then builders sand, which is available at your hardware store, is the best type of sand to use. Avoid fine sands like play sand, as you want a coarser sand for leveling.

Here are more questions about Lawn Maintenance