Sago Palm Trees

Sago Palm Pups – Elongated, Buried Pup

apesek97 added on March 20, 2017 | Answered

Great News! I got a free sago palm (~18yrs old) with the purchase of my house. It wasn't taken care of very well and I removed 22 pups from beneath the soil line. Some of the older pups grew around the newer ones and developed into a more elongated shape. Everything I've seen defers to planting standard "round" pups. I am confused as to how to propagate these particular pups. Do I cut it to a rounder shape or leave like it is and bury it up to the widest girth (with the curved portion underground)? The picture shows a 4.5" diameter elongated pup.

Liz Baessler

I wouldn't cut it, as that would just make it more vulnerable to disease. Go ahead and plant it just as it is, in the orientation it was growing on the mother plant, following the usual guidelines for propagating Sago Palm pups:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/sago-palm/splitting-sago-palm-plant.htm

00
Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees