Chinese Pistache

Safe Pasture Trees for Equines

kjolocke@yahoo.com added on September 14, 2017 | Answered

I was under the impression that the Keith Darvey Chinese Pistachio tree was safe / edible for equines. I bought a 10' tall tree at our local nursery going out of business becasue of the high speed rail. The next day on FB, I saw an article from UC Davis siting Pistachio trees as toxic to horses! I can not take the tree back, all sales final. I would like to find more informtion about this as I can not find the original article that stated they were equine safe. I am wanting to order more of this same tree if it is equine safe. I actually have four mules in the pastures that I would like to add shade too. We are always in a drought and rely on an ever shrinking ground water source so the trees need to be fast growing and drought tolerant. I also bought two CA peper trees and a Rayburn Ash trees. Hoping those are safe as well. Kelley Jo Locke Zone 8 Madera CA 93636

My research also shows that Pistachio Trees are known to be toxic to horses.

This article has some information.

See more at: http://www.horsedvm.com/poisonous/pistacia/

This is outside of our expertise, so please consult with an Equine Vet to ensure the safety of your animals.

00
Here are more questions about Chinese Pistache