Rosette Disease

Cloie added on December 25, 2015 | Answered

I had approximately 32 rose bushes in my gardens. I know which bush first became contaminated but only pruned it instead of digging it up. Because all of my rose bushes became infected I dug them up but did not remove the soil around them. Is there any way I can treat the soil to be sure that all contamination is gone before replanting? Should I wait a while before replacing with other plants? What do you recommend I replace them with?

Hi Cloie. Rose Rosette Disease is caused by a virus that is spread by a little mite, at least that is the latest theory. What I recommend is tilling up the soils where they were planted. Rake it well with a hard toothed rake and remove all pieces of root matter. Then till again and do the same. Spray the soils and area around the rose bed with a good miticide. You could even till the soils one more time and rake well. Let sit for two to three weeks after spraying with the miticide. Then decide if you want to replant with disease resistant rosebushes of other plants. I personally would replant with some nice shrub roses or floribunda roses.
Stan

00