gharvery added on July 5, 2016 | Answered

I have moved from the UK 6 months ago to Spain with work but, unfortunately, the rented property I had the landlord became very ill and needed to sell it, but I had my front and back garden full of beautiful roses. It was just perfect. I have tried to establish the same effect in my garden here but without success. The roses I have brought never seem to be what they say on the label, as I end up with very small buds and very little flower and then after a few days the leaves go yellow and fall off so they really do not look healthy. I understand that it maybe too warm for the roses here, so I make sure every morning I put my sun umbrella over the roses so the full sun does not burn them but I still have unhealthy roses, so please can you give me some advice on helping me achieve having a beautiful rose in my garden..... How I miss home....

I unfortunately do not know much about growing roses in Spain but it sounds like the weather should be good for growing them. Here is a link to a website that may be useful to you: http://gardenspain.com/138/roses-in-spain/ on that site they mention that good rosebushes can be obtained by mail from Austin roses in the UK, here is a link to their website as well: http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/rose-collections . I grow some of the Austin roses and they are a delight. It sounds like you may be getting ahold of roses locally that are not good stock to begin with, especially if they do not look like what the labels say they should be.

00