Rose Disease

box211 added on August 30, 2015 | Answered

We have a rose bush that has always produced beautiful flowers all summer. I pruned it several years ago and it stopped producing flowers. It now displays black spots and shriveled flowers. The flowers begin to blossom and then turn brown. I have attached several pictures showing the status of this plant. Is there anything I can do to restore it to health? We have loved this rose bush and I would like to see it regain its health if possible. Thank you.

Sounds like she is trying to battle black spot fungus and likely other funguses. I would recommend spraying the rosebushe with a fungicide called Mancozeb. It is available from . It does leave a yellowish powdery residue on the foliage but that is part of how it works. Water the rosebush with some water that has root stimulator and a product called Super Thrive in the water the next 4 to 5 times it needs water. One of those times, sprinkle 1/2 cup of Epsom Salts around the base of the bush, work it in lightly and water it in. Then keep it sprayed with a good fungicide for treating black spot every 10 to 12 days and feed the bush with a good organic based rose fertilizer.