Magnolia Trees

Root a Magnolia Tree From Cuttings

WALTER GOMEZ added on September 12, 2017 | Answered

I AM TRYING TO GROW A GARDENIA TREE FROM CUTTINGS FROM OUR BEAUTIFUL TREE WE JUST LOST IN THE HURRICANE.YOUR INSTRUCTIONS MENTION USING A GOOD HORMONE SOLUTION.WHERE DO I GET THIS.YOU ALSO SAID TO PLANT IN PERLITE WHAT IS THE SOIL TO PERLITE RATIO?PLEASE RESPOND A.S.A.P. TO HELP ME SAVE THE CUTTINGS.THANK YOU WALTER GOMEZ E-MAIL= CHSPDO@AOL.COM

You mention both magnolia and gardenia, however, Both will have similar methods of propagation. I would recommend a very light soil, meaning a soil with light nutrient contents, or even just peat moss. Perlite can go in with any ratio you please, but I find that 20 to 30 percent is sufficient. You can find IBA rooting powder at most larger stores, and specialty gardening stores, however it is available online as well. Make sure you cut the rooting end at an angle for more rooting surface area. There are a few ways to make your own hormone if you wish. I, personally use a mixture of warm water, honey and an aspirin tab and water with it. This will promote rooting as well. Make sure to keep the soil moist, but not wet or dry. Somewhere in between. Here is an article that will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/projects/rooting-plant-cuttings.htm

00
Here are more questions about Magnolia Trees