Rhubarb Plants

Rhubarb

Kolson added on April 16, 2015 | Answered

I just went out to uncover my rhubarb plants and all I see are some dark brown, burnt looking things sticking out of the ground. Are they dead? I live in Central MN. We didn't have much snow this past winter. My plants didn't produce much last year.

It's hard to say if they are dead or not - only time will tell. Your rhubarb will hopefully resurface with new sprouts from the ground sometime this spring. I do not overwinter my rhubarb properly (no mulch) and it still seems to make a comeback every year. Since you stated your rhubarb appears to be in a decline, maybe it's time to think about rejuvenating your rhubarb by planting new or dividing the rhubarb in this year's crop.

For more information on over-wintering rhubarb plants (as well as dividing), please visit the following link:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/rhubarb/protecting-rhubarb-in-winter.htm

00
Here are more questions about Rhubarb Plants