Red Tip Photinias

Replace Diseased Red Tips With Another Resistant Hedge/Bush for Privacy Fence

My Red-Tip Photinias, used as a privacy fence, have become diseased and too large for the space.   Some have died. I want to remove them and would like to replace them with young red tips, but I'm afraid the disease will affect them as well. In central Arkansas, what type of fast-growing bush can be used for privacy that is resistant to fungus? Would it be unsafe to plant new red tips?

Can you describe the symptoms of the disease that affected the last red tips? If we can diagnose it, we can let you know if it will affect the new red tips.

In terms of privacy shrubs that grow quickly, Arborvitae or Cypress tend to be the standards. If you would like to try something a little different, you can look into bamboo.

Here are more questions about Red Tip Photinias