Maple Trees

Red Patches Going Up Trunk of Maple Tree

Anonymous added on January 1, 2014 | Answered

I have a five year old maple that grew from the seed of a maple. Tree has done quite well over the past five years. Last spring as the tree leafed out a number of the large branches comming out of the trunk started to die, and the buds died. Then in the fall the tree started to develop a red film that started to move upward along the trunk. Not sure what this is. Will it kill this tree? And will it spread to other trees in my yard? Your help is required. Thank you for your help.

I suspect that the tree may have Nectria canker. This article will have more information: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/nectria-canker/ It is normally not fatal, but can weaken the tree so that it is susceptible to other diseases and pests. Treat the tree with a fungicide and keep a close eye on it for other problems.

00
Here are more questions about Maple Trees