Oak Trees

Red Oak Tree Not Leafing After Winter

kasee added on March 13, 2018 | Answered

My red oak tree in my front yard has no leafs on it while other trees in the neighborhood are beginning to have green leaves. The tree looks dead. It’s March in Texas and winter is over. What could cause this problem of no green leaves; fungus? Is it too late to save the tree?

Aspens, willows, maples and birches are some of the trees that tend to leaf out before oak and elm do. It is due to differences in their biology. On the other hand, it may be that the devastating oak wilt disease has claimed your tree. I would expect there to have been symptoms last year if that were the case. Look at TexasOakWilt.org
This is a highly contagious infection and wood must be handled properly. Let's hope that a few more warm days will have buds swelling on your tree.

00
Here are more questions about Oak Trees