Lily Plants

Rain Lilies

Cheryl White added on September 14, 2016 | Answered

I have tons of rain lilies reproduced over the years from as far back and the 1950s. They started out in my husband's grandmother's garden and descendants of those are still flourishing. I always dig some up and bring them as a house-warming gift. They are always of the pink variety. That is until I gave a big batch of them to someone two years ago. Today, she sent me a photo of her beautiful WHITE rain lilies. Hers have ALWAYS BLOOMED WHITE. They are mixed in with some other different bulbs and flowers. How on earth could my pink rain lilies turn white to only my one friend when I've given them to probably over 30 other friends over the years?

Some people say pink rain lilies can change color from the beginning to the end of a day, and also as the blooms age and fade. This might make enough of a difference so that the flower would appear white in a photo. If your friend says hers are always white, then I would assume a mutation happened in that plant (known as a "sport"). Very interesting.

00
Here are more questions about Lily Plants