Pumpkin Plants

Pumpkin Vines

I have a garden full of pumpkin vines and they are growing through the fence and into my tomatoes. Should I cut the vines back or let them have at it? My garden is 40' by 80'.

You can prune your pumpkin vines, however if these are one of the smaller, Halloween type you can also grow them on a sturdy trellis. Just use knee highs or old, clean pantyhose as a "sling" to hold the growing fruit. It will get you odd looks and occasional comments from your neighbors. I grow sugar baby watermelons this way. The fruit is clean and I have little problem with disease or insects. However,here is an article that gives more information on pruning pumpkin vines. And a just in case ^-^ article on ripening green pumpkins

Here are more questions about Pumpkin Plants