Ficus Trees

Pruning My Ficus

deenasloan added on May 23, 2015 | Answered

My Ficus is 10 years old and has always been beautiful. I trimmed it last spring (Ohio) and this year it is very woody. It has leaves on it but it's not full the way it always was. It looks bad because all you notice is the stems, as it's so sparse looking. I was going to just cut it way back and see what happens but I thought better of that until I looked further into it. Please let me know what to do with my "woody" 5' tree. I keep it in the house in the winter, of course, as Ohio is very cold in the winter. I put it on the deck in the spring through summer.

If and when it's necessary to prune your ficus it's best to do so in it's dormant months.
Moving the plant and environmental changes all effect a ficus. Allow it plenty of time to acclimate to it's new spring and summer home.
Provide all the proper care that is listed in the link below. It may take some time but I think you should be able to get your plant filled back out.

Here are more questions about Ficus Trees