Rhododendron Plants

Pruning HUGE Rhododendrons

G'Day! Thanks for taking my question. I need help with pruning my rhododendrons. First, I did read your website but I have a special circumstance and I don't want to touch these plants until I am sure what to do. I purchased a semi-wooded property in June (2016). Around the property there are about 20 large rhododendrons. When I say "large", I mean 20'+ tall. The previous owner never did anything with these guys except enjoy them and the property was vacant for 3 years prior to our purchase. Some of the plants are encroaching upon the driveway and scrape vehicles. They need to be trimmed, pruned, cut back or whatever you call it. How do I prune them so I don't interfere with next Spring's flowers AND so I don't make the plant look "bare" on that side? Also, for the plants not along the driveway, when is best time to remove dead branches off the bottoms without hurting the plant? I'd love to hear your suggestions! luannsoul@hotmail.com

This article will help you with pruning your Rhododendrons.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/rhododendron/pruning-rhododendrons.htm

00
Here are more questions about Rhododendron Plants