Forsythia Bushes

Pruning Forsythia

I know now is not the best time of year to prune my forsythia that is a border hedge. But it is too tall to maintain. Can I trim it back to 4 inches and start over now without killing it. And also, can I plant some shoots from trimming to speed up the regrowth?

Pruning is usually limited to spring after flowering; however, a light trim in the fall will not harm the shrub. It will simply inhibit the flowering of next season's blooms. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/forsythia/forsythia-pruning.htm

Cuttings are generally taken in spring, but you could always try to force some indoors and see how it goes. You never know, you might have some luck, as some people have.

00
Here are more questions about Forsythia Bushes