Fig Tree

Pruning and Wrapping Fig Trees

I have 3 trees that were transplanted from suckers and they've been in the ground three years. I haven't pruned them except for removing dead wood and a few crossed branches as they were only a couple of feet tall at the end of last year. I've been wrapping them with burlap and tar paper in late November and unwrapping in April. This year I only saw two or three very small figs total, and they never ripened. All the sites say that the trees should be pruned at dormancy. Should I prune before wrapping, or maybe unwrap earlier and then prune? We have been getting shorter winters, but still have plenty of snow and sub-freezing temps. They are at least two different varieties that were cut from my late Father's trees, and they were no longer covered in winter as they all reached 30+ feet, but they were on the south side of his house. Mine are in the open on a southern exposure.

Pruning can be an effective way to increase fruit production of a fig tree:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/figs/pruning-fig-trees.htm
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/2016/08/don%E2%80%99t-be-fooled-figs-grow-fine-western-oregon

I think your idea of unwrapping the tree and pruning it in winter is best. Then if necessary you can wrap it again. That might be a lot of work, but pruning is not needed every year and can be done only when required, so maybe it is doable.

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree