Rowan Trees

Pruning a Rowan Tree (Sorbus) in a Pot

sylviae added on November 8, 2013 | Answered

I have a 5 ft high Rowan, which I have been given. It is in a large container but I plan to plant it in my garden, excellent soil there. However, it has various branches growing out very close to the ground of the main trunk. I think Rowans just have one main trunk... but I'm afraid to prune if this is detrimental. Each of the branches growing low has beautiful berries on it and the tree is healthy. Thanks.

his link may be of some help: http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/sorauca.pdf

You would need to ''limb up'' your plant into a single trunk for a tree shape. Folks around here leave them as shrubs too. If you transplant now, the root system will continue to develop over the winter. Then, in the spring, your plant won't have to be making roots, leaves and blooms at the same time.

00
Here are more questions about Rowan Trees