Fig Tree

Pruning a Fig Bush/Tree

call paul added on May 6, 2012 | Answered

I have an elderly gent who I do gardening work for. He has a fig tree (Turkey variety) against a south facing wall trailing up nicely but thinks it may need to have more attention to yield better fruit. I'm no expert, just need to give him some good advice to get a good yield and maintain a healthy plant. (general info will be greatly appreciated)

I would not prune it while it is not dormant. If it seems healthy, then you can leave it as is. If it is having trouble fruiting in the future, I would prune it back in the dormant season. If you have yet to see fruiting, this article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/figs/fig-tree-is-producing-fruit.htm

Also, you could add some phosphorus, like bone meal, to the soil around the fig to encourage more blooming/frutiing.

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree