Dieffenbachia

Propagating Dieffenbachia

I just came upon your website, but a few days ago, I googled propagating Dieffenbachia and read that I could cut the plant midway down the long stems and keep the stems in their original pots while putting the tops in water to grow roots. I remember my grandfather, who gave me these plants, successfully growing them in water only. However, once I put the stems of the newly cut tops in water, the leaves started to die. The leaves are not touching the water at all, just the stems below them; however, the lowest leaves on the stem are slowly turning brown/translucent/not dry and crumbly but moist. First it was one leaf, then another, then another...There are still a number of green leaves on it, but I'm worried that it is going to die if I don't do something. Can you tell me what's happening and what I should do? So many people online talk about how easy it is to just stick them in water and let them grow, but I am not having that experience at all. Thanks so much!

Here is an excellent article that will help you propagate Dumbcane Dieffenbachia.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/dumb-cane/propagating-dieffenbachia.htm

00
Here are more questions about Dieffenbachia