Euphorbia Plants

Propagating a Euphorbia Cultivar From Healthy Stem

CountFlatula added on July 25, 2015 | Answered

Propagating a Euphorbia trigona cultivar from healthy stem....sideways! I would like to take a long healthy stem from a Euphorbia trigona (?), which has been "topped" several years ago. That stem is healthy but non-productive and puts out neither leaves nor blooms. The plant is a Madagascar cultivar and produces showy red blooms and inflorescence from all other stems. THE QUESTION: Can I take the 14" stem and cut it into four or five pieces and plant each horizontally in agar agar in a propagating tray which is covered? Since a cut-off end usually just stops growing, I want to make a bunch of these prolific bloomers on the cheap. Or is there another method?

I have not been able to find any propagating information for the method you have proposed.
Here is the prescribed method.
Take 3 inch cuttings in spring or summer.
Dip the cut ends in warm water for a few minutes to stop the flow of sap.
Allow the cuttings to dry for 24 hours. Then dip ends in rooting hormone and put in barely moist potting mix.
You should have roots in 6 weeks.

Here are more questions about Euphorbia Plants