Gladiolus

Preserving Bulbs for Winter

dgriffith8181@hotmail.com added on August 16, 2017 | Answered

I just ordered a bunch of gladiolas, freesia, blazing stars, bleeding hearts, Mr. Fokker, and Queen Fabiola. They are in some sort of plastic bags. I was planning on saving them until next spring, but I don\'t know what I need to do to preserve them.

This website has a lot of information on bulb storage and how long bulbs can be stored. Bleeding hearts are not technically a bulb and they are hardy through zone 3. Soak the root pieces in warm water for a couple of hours and plant them near the surface. Make sure to prepare the bed well as these perennials are long-lived and they spread. Bleeding heart prefers morning sun only. It will not do well in full sun which your other bulbs require. Blazing star, Liatris, is hardy zones 3-9 and can be put out now. Here is the link to storing the others:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/bgen/preparing-bulbs-for-winter-how-to-store-bulbs-for-winter.htm
I would keep a close eye on them come next January/Feb. This is an odd time of year for a bulb to go into storage. In my experience, some break dormancy before planting time arrives. If you see signs of life, pot up those bulbs.

00
Here are more questions about Gladiolus