Potato Plants

Potatoes Are Not Blossoming, as of Late July

Mary from WI added on July 24, 2011 | Answered

I live in northeast WI, and my potato plants are very tall, but as of late July, have not blossomed. Is it always necessary for them to blossom in order to produce tubers?

No, they do need to blossom to produce tubers. There are some who feel the potato plant will grow better tubers with blossoms, but this is largely based on anecdotal evidence and not hard study. There are just as many who say that potatoes grow better without the flowers.

00
Mary from WI

Thanks, today I pulled out one plant and found 7-8 small to med size tubers, and a bunch of itty bitty ones that I will saute in a little butter. I guess they will be just fine as they are. The rest of them I will leave until the tops dry up. I had never had this happen before, so I was really puzzled about it.
Mary from WI

00
Here are more questions about Potato Plants